A key feature of Special Olympics is a series of sports competitions patterned on the World Olympics and held annually at each organizational level, culmination in World Summer and Winter Games, which alternate every two years. In addition to the athletic competition, all Games include the pageantry and excitement of the Olympics Games, with events, such as; Opening & Closing Ceremonies, the lighting of the Special Olympics Flame of Hope, Awards Ceremonies, and a variety of cultural activities.
Over 100 area games, 95 coaches training schools, and seven state level competitions are held annually in a variety of sports that take place in the State of Mississippi. The State Games Sites include:
- Biloxi/ Ocean Springs/ Keesler AFB for State Summer Games
- Hattiesburg/ Camp Shelby for State Fall Games
- Gulfport for State Equestrian
- The Coast Area for Winter Sports Games
- Southaven/ Jackson/ Coast for State Bowling
- Madison for State Basketball
- Sardis Lake/ State Park for State Canoeing
The Healthy Athlete Program provides free health screenings and health information for athletes at games and competitions. Click here to learn more about the program.